Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Some things about making jewelry

I remember when I first started making jewelry and shopped at Michael's and Jo-Ann fabric and craft store,  I read labels with words that were new for me. Moreover, they did not mean anything to me because all of them were unfamiliar, and I simply did not bother myself with all those words...

These are simple tools everyone can use when starts making jewelry. You don't need a lot of fancy tools. These are the most used common ones for the beginners.


In my first post I mentioned "findings". For those who are not familiar with jewelry making terms and have no ideas what this word means, I will try to make it easier for you.


According to a dictionary, "findings" are small tools and materials used by an artisan. Example: a jeweler's findings. As it is written in Wikipedia, "...jewelry findings are the small parts and pieces used in the manufacture and assembly of jewelry".


And according to the dictionary of Fire Mountain Gems and Beads Company, a definition of "findings" is "a jewelry-making term for any metal component used to connect and/or assemble jewelry. Findings are materials used to thread through, glue on, hook into, link onto or otherwise attach beads and components together. Findings include jump rings, clasps, bails, headpins, ear wires and charms, to name a few."

Here is another term I used in my last post - "gold" or "gold tone". So any of "gold tone, gold colored or electroplated" means it is not gold as in measurable in karats. When selling their jewelry, some artisan write in description of their pieces - "gold", but it does not necessary mean real (10, 18, 22 or 24 karat) gold unless it is mentioned, for instance, "10 karat gold."


I use a variety of findings - silver tone, gold ones, silver plated, 925 sterling silver, 14 Karat gold, platinum, simple metal and brass. Here, in this post you can see the pictures of some of the findings I use when create my pieces.




All jewelry items are made by Levine Jewelry.
They are for sale on ETSY.



.

2 comments: